Who doesn’t like the idea of tender, well-seasoned meat on a fresh, warm pita bread?
Add a zesty sauce, a few toppings, and you got yourself a real treat!
This recipe is easy, and it uses ground turkey instead of lamb.
Let’s get into it…
Here is the Recipe: (adapted from, food.com by Rpgaymer)
Ground Turkey Gyros
1 lb lean ground turkey
1/2 cup oatmeal (I used 1-minute quick oats, Quaker brand)
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
1/4 teaspoon cumin
A pinch of cinnamon
Extra virgin olive oil
• Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
• Put all of the ingredients in a bowl, and spend a few minutes kneading the mixture with your hands so that everything is very well combined. (I like to mix all the ingredients together, minus the ground turkey, first. Then add the ground turkey in last, and knead for a few minutes.)
• Put the mixture onto a lightly oiled 9×13 pan. Line with non-stick foil, for easy clean-up.
• Smash the meat mixture down with your hands a bit until it looks like a very large hamburger patty.
• Bake for 35 minutes.
• Remove, then cut the meat into thin slices.
• If you want a crispier, more authentic gyros texture, lay the sliced meat down on the pan and place in the broiler for 5 more minutes.
• Layer the meat on fresh pita brea, then garnish with desired toppings.
I added green leaf lettuce, tomato, cucumber, red onion and tzatziki sauce on our gyros.
I must say, seeing oatmeal listed as an ingredient made me a bit hesitant to try this recipe. But. The addition was pure genius (Thanks Rpgaymer!) It really gives the ground turkey more of that true “gyro texture”. And, the spices were all right-on!
The first time I made this I didn’t feel like making a tzatziki sauce so, I just used plain sour cream. Not bad. It’s not as authentic or flavorful but, the flavor of the meat was so good that I didn’t really miss it. I suppose you could also use plain Greek yogurt as well.
The next time, I did make the sauce and, it makes the gyros all the more delicious. I will post that recipe next.
If you try this, I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
Feel free to come back & share your experience.