I put cauliflower in my grocery basket a few weeks ago having no clue what to make with it but, I was excited to try something new.
The idea of using cauliflower instead of ribeye in my favorite Steak Diane recipe sounded fun.
I wondered if I could make it for dinner with a side of potatoes and not have my Husband ask, “Where’s the meat?”
Here’s my recipe:
Cauliflower Steak Diane
1 head of cauliflower
extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 tablespoons butter
3 green onions (finely chopped)
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon parsley (finely chopped)
• Line a large baking sheet with non-stick aluminum foil.
• Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
• Remove stem/leaves from cauliflower
• Sliced cauliflower down the middle then, slice each half down the middle again for a total of 4 “steaks”
• Lightly season cauliflower steaks with salt and pepper.
• Heat about 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet, over high heat.
• Add cauliflower steaks and sear about 2-3 minutes per side, or until brown (to avoid crowding the skillet, do this in 2 batches).
• Transfer the “steaks” onto the baking sheet and roast for 40 minutes (carefully flipping them over after the first 20 minutes).
• When just about done, melt the butter in the skillet over medium/med. high heat.
• Add the green onions and saute for about 1 minute.
• Reduce heat to low then, add the lemon juice and Worcestershire sauce; stir for about another minute or two.
• Remove from heat.
• Add parsley and stir.
• Drizzle over “steaks”.
This was pretty good with a side of red potato oven fries.
Next time, I’d double or triple the sauce. It wasn’t enough. I’d be curious to try other sauce recipes as well. Maybe pesto…
Other than that, I like how roasting the cauliflower brought out a hint of sweetness and kinda made it taste almost, almost “meaty”. It was surprisingly filling.
My Husband didn’t ask me about the location of any meat. As I was cooking all he said was, “Cauliflower, huh?…That is a lot of cauliflower!” Lol
For more recipes & ideas for dinner, check out my mini recipe eBook.