Ever had the cheddar broccoli soup from Panera Bread? Mmm…
This easy recipe is listed as a copycat version. Enjoy!
Here is the recipe: (from food.com, by Chefnini)
Panera Broccoli Cheese Soup
1 tablespoon melted butter
1/2 medium chopped onion
1/4 cup melted butter
1/4 cup flour
2 cups half-and-half cream
2 cups chicken stock
1/2 lb fresh broccoli
1 cup carrot, julienned
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
salt and pepper
• Sauté onion, until translucent in 1 tablespoon of melted butter. Remove from pot and set aside.
• Mix remaining melted butter and flour together using a whisk, and cook over medium heat for 3-5 minutes. Stir constantly.
• Add the half & half, and chicken stock. Simmer for 20 minutes.
• Add the broccoli, carrots and onions. Cook over low heat 20-25 minutes.
• Add salt and pepper, cheese, then stir in the nutmeg.
I skipped the nutmeg because, I can never bring myself to add it in any dish that is not a dessert. I’ve seen alfredo sauce recipes that call for nutmeg, and I think mac & cheese recipes too. Never added it in. Have you? The amounts called for are so small, I wonder if you can even taste the difference?
I also made a note to use half of the cheddar cheese next time. It was a bit too cheesy for me. In fact, I tasted the soup before adding the cheese and I could’ve eaten it just like that. Cream of broccoli soup?
This cheddar broccoli recipe is good! Not sure if it tastes like Panera’s or not.