This cake whips up fast.
It’s dense. Not-too-sweet. With a faint oatmeal flavor. And bursting, fresh blueberry goodness.
I liked the idea of having cake for breakfast so, I tried this recipe.
Here is the recipe: (adapted from food.com, by ratherbeswimmin’)
Blueberry Oatmeal Breakfast Cake
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup quick-cooking oats, uncooked
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup milk
4 tablespoons butter (melted)
1 cup blueberries
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 teaspoons milk
• Preheat oven to 400 degrees and lightly grease an 8×8 inch baking pan.
• Add the flour, oats, baking powder, salt, egg, sugar, 3/4 cup milk, and butter to a mixing bowl; stir to mix.
• Fold in the blueberries.
• Spread batter into baking pan.
• Bake for 20-25 minutes or until pick comes out clean.
• In a small bowl, mix together the powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and 3 teaspoons milk.
• Pour/drizzle over warm cake.
I didn’t have any almond extract for the icing so, I used vanilla. This could be why the flavor was a little lacking.
I also used butter instead of oil, and less sugar than the original recipe called for.
The sugar was just the right amount of sweetness for my taste but, if I were to make this again, I’d add some vanilla extract to the cake batter. I’d also make sure to have some almond extract on-hand for the icing. Or, maybe some blueberry extract? Hmm…