Can you believe this pie only takes 15 minutes to bake?
This is a good recipe for a slightly tart, yet sweet, lemon meringue pie.
Here is the recipe: (adapted from Sunkist.com)
Fresh Lemon Meringue Pie
1 (9-inch) baked pie crust
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cold water
1/2 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
3 egg yolks, well beaten
2 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 cups boiling water
1/2 of a lemon, peel of (zest/grated)
3 egg whites
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
6 tablespoons sugar
• In a saucepan, thoroughly combine the sugar, cornstarch, and salt.
• Gradually blend in the cold water and lemon juice.
• Stir in the egg yolks.
• Add the butter and boiling water.
• Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly.
• Reduce heat to medium and boil for 1 minute.
• Remove from heat and stir in the lemon peel.
• Pour into baked pie crust.
• In a bowl, with an electric mixer, beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar until foamy.
• Gradually add the sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
• Top the filled pie crust with meringue, sealing well at the edges.
• Bake at 350 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes.
• Cool for 2 hours.
I made this pie for a family member so, I couldn’t cut into it.
Since my pie pan is smaller (7-inch pan?) than the required size for this recipe, I had more than enough leftover pastry, filling and meringue to make a taste sample. Actually, I could have probably made a second whole pie! I used a small (single-serve) baking dish, as that’s all I had at the time, and baked it alongside the pie.
I couldn’t wait to taste this. This was my first time making lemon meringue pie, and I think my first time eating it.
The lemon filling was delicious! Nice balance of tart and sweet. Smooth consistency.
The meringue was light, fluffy and sweet.
I don’t think I like meringue very much. Not because it wasn’t good but, something about it (and the yellow filling) reminds me of those marshmallow “moon pie” snacks I had as a kid. Not good.
The crust was hard and tough. I made it from scratch and, per usual, it didn’t turn out right. 🙁 It looked really good, even after it came out of the oven. So, I was surprised and disappointed by that.
Next time, I will use a pre-made pie crust. And…maybe leave off the meringue. What should I replace it with? Whipped cream? Does whipped cream go with lemon?
Now I’m curious to try key lime pie.
Is key lime pie any good?