What food is more comforting than a slice of warm cornbread?
This is my all-time favorite recipe! It’s easy to make, and results in a sweet, moist on the inside/crusty on the outside, cake-like cornbread.
A bit of butter & drizzled honey takes it over the top!
Here is the recipe: (adapted from Recipezaar, by Mike Garcia)
1 1/2 cup flour
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup cornmeal
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups milk
2 large eggs (lightly beaten)
1/3 cup vegetable oil
3 tablespoons butter
• Preheat oven to 350 degrees
• Melt butter in a cast iron skillet (my skillet has an 9 inch circumference, and the bread bakes up to the brim)
• Combine flour, sugar, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl
• Mix milk, eggs, oil, and melted butter in a small bowl, stirring well, then add this to the flour mixture
• Stir just until it just comes together
• Pour into skillet
• Bake for 30-35 minutes (or until wooden pick comes out clean)
• Brush the top with extra butter (and for an extra touch of sweetness, drizzle honey onto individual slices)
I hear that cooking with cast iron, gives your food more of the iron nutrient. Is that true? Do you believe that?