Creamy. Earthy. Fresh!
Cream of mushroom is probably my all-time favorite kind of soup. Growing up, I was in love with Campbell’s. Then, I never knew how simple soup was to make. With a few veggies, good broth, and a little time in the kitchen…you’ll have a bowl that’s much better than the canned stuff.
This soup is outstanding! It’s also very simple to make.
Here is the Recipe: (adapted from food.com, by Theresa/ Thunderbird)
Fresh Cream of Mushroom Soup
1/4 cup chopped onions
2 tablespoons butter
3 cups sliced fresh white button mushrooms
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
4 cups chicken broth (I used Better Than Bouillon Chicken Base)
1 cup half-and-half
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
• In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender.
• Add all the mushrooms and saute until tender.
• Combine flour and broth until smooth, then stir into the mushroom mixture.
• Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 min., or until thickened.
• Reduce heat, and stir in the cream, salt & pepper.
• Simmer (uncovered) for 15 minutes, stirring often.
• Garnish with chopped green onion. (optional)
I just love this recipe. The soup is like silk. So smooth. So good!
For greater “chew”, I like to slice half of the mushrooms, instead of chopping them all.