Curious, I was (and craving strawberry shortcake!), when I stumbled upon this flour-less recipe.
It tastes very similar to the little yellow cake, dessert cups at the grocery store. Not bad!
Here is the recipe: (adapted from food.com, by GlutenFreeGirl)
Strawberry Shortcake with Gluten-Free Shortcakes
Makes 6 cupcakes
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup confectioners sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup cornstarch
5/8 teaspoons baking powder
• Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 6 cup muffin pan.
• In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar, using electric mixer.
• Add the eggs and vanilla. Beat until light and fluffy.
• In a small bowl mix the cornstarch and baking powder together. Add it slowly to the creamed mixture. (If added too quickly, it will fly about the kitchen.).
• Mix until well blended.
• Fill the greased muffin tins half full.
• Bake for 15 minutes, or until done. (Test with a toothpick, after 15 minutes, even if the top looks shiny).
• Remove from the pan while still warm.
• Serve topped with strawberries & whipped cream.
I recommend gobbling these up while the cake is still warm from the oven. They were good, but became a little tough when they cooled off.