I love a good french fry!
I have an awesome recipe for deep-fried sweet potato fries here. Crispy & delicious! But, I thought I’d go the less messy & “healthier” route, and try oven-baking them.
It’s tricky getting oven fries crispy. I discovered here, that cornstarch was the secret!
Here is the Recipe: (adapted from theartofdoingstuff.com, by Karen)
Oven-Baked Sweet Potato Fries
1 large sweet potato (peeled, cut into medium-sized fries, soaked in cold water for at least 30 minutes, drained, then dried on paper towels)
1-2 tablespoons of cornstarch
1-2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 large plastic food storage bag
• Preheat oven to 425 degrees
• Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper
• Put cornstarch in plastic bag
• Add in the sweet potato fries
• Seal the bag, allowing air to fill it (like a balloon)
• Shake to thoroughly coat the fries in cornstarch
• Layer cornstarch coated fries onto the baking sheet
• Drizzle on the oil & toss the fries with your fingers to evenly coat
• Space out the fries, allowing adequate space so they aren’t bunched together (if they’re touching too much, the fries will steam in the oven & they won’t get crispy)
• Bake for 15 minutes in the oven
• Flip fries over, then bake for an additional 5 minutes
• Season with salt (optional)
I’ve tried this a few times.
The fries were good & had a nice soft interior, but the exterior…unfortunately not very crispy. I think you have to play around to get the cornstarch to oil ratio just right.
If you try this, please let me know if you get a crispy sweet potato fry. Many have tried the original recipe, with great results. So. Maybe it’s just me.
We really enjoy this chipotle mayo! It’s not too spicy, but it’s got kick. Very simple to make. Husband thought it’d taste fantastic on a burger. I agree. We’ll have to try that one day.
Here is the Recipe (from food.com, by Chef Decadent1)
Spicy Chipotle Mayo
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 chipotle pepper*
1 tablespoon adobo sauce*
2 drops Tabasco sauce
1/2 teaspoon cumin
• Combine all ingredients in a bowl
• Refrigerate until ready to serve
* You can pick up a small can of chipotle peppers from the ethnic food aisle of the grocery store. The peppers come in adobo sauce.
Dip & Devour!