Psychology of the personality. I find it absolutely fascinating!
It’s fun learning new (& strange) words that explain why people are the way that they are….why I am the way that I am.
Temperament is said to be biologically determined, and there are four basic groupings*:
Temperament: the combination of mental, physical, and emotional traits of a person; natural predisposition. –dictionary.com
- Phlegmatic: Cautious, Peaceful, Controlled, Observers. A person having an unemotional and stolidly calm disposition. Phlegmatics tend to be content with themselves and prefer stability to uncertainty and change. They are kind & affectionate. Often deliberate, rational, and reliable. Sometimes lazy & passive-aggressive.
- Melancholy: Anxious, Thinking, Planning, Loners. A person having a soft-hearted disposition. Melancholics are introverted and thoughtful. They are highly self-reliant, creative, and are usually perfectionists. Often reserved, reflective, moody or gloomy. Sometimes selfish &/or self-absorbed.
- Choleric: Assertive, Restless, Touchy, Leaders. A person having an irritable disposition. Cholerics like to be in charge of everything, but tend to go from one extreme to the other, with hardly any setup in-between. They are filled with passion & energy, and they try to instill that in others. Often impulsive, active, and quickly excited. Sometimes short-fused.
- Sanguine: Outgoing, Care-free, Fun-loving, People-Persons. A person having a cheerfully optimistic, hopeful, and/or confident disposition. Sanguines are sociable & charismatic. They enjoy social gatherings, and making new friends. Often lively, talkative, and bold. Sometimes shameless.
If you’re not sure, why not take this fun quiz to find out?! Then, come back & tell me in the comments. 😉
* According to Hippocrates & Humorism. Hippocrates was an ancient Greek physician, who believed that the human body consisted of & required the balance of “4 humors” to remain healthy: phlegm, black bile, yellow bile, and blood. Persons having phlegm as the dominant humor, were considered “Phlegmatic”. Persons having a dominant humor of black bile, were “Melancholy”. Yellow bile, “Choleric”. Blood, “Sanguine”.
Apparently, I have but two drops of blood in entire my body. A plethora of phlegm. And traces of black bile. Ha!
Call the doctor.