Not bad. Very simple to make.
Let’s get into it…
Here is the Recipe: (adapted from Allrecipes.com, by Marbalet)
Raspberry Cookie Bars
Makes 9 Bars
1/2 cup light brown sugar (packed)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup rolled oats (not quick or instant oats)
1/2 cup butter (softened)
3/4 cup seedless raspberry jam
6 ounces fresh raspberries (cut into halves)
• Preheat oven to 350 degrees
• Grease an 8-inch square pan, or line with non-stick foil.
• Combine brown sugar, flour, baking soda, salt, and rolled oats in a large bowl.
• Rub in the butter using your hands, or a pastry blender to form a crumbly mixture.
• Press about two-thirds of the mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan.
• Spread the jam to within 1/4 inch of the edge.
• Layer the fresh cut raspberries on top.
• Sprinkle the remaining crumb mixture over the top.
• Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until lightly browned.
• Allow to cool before cutting into bars.
These had a nice fruity flavor, but we would’ve liked more “chew” (we love chewy cookies)! The texture was more of a crisp cookie, than a chewy one.
Next time, I will try melting the butter & adding an egg.
I stood in the canned fruit/jelly aisle for minutes, trying to pick the perfect raspberry jam. I even scanned my phone for online reviews (which didn’t help my leaving the store any quicker). Plus, there were at least 3 brands on sale! Ahhh…
I ended up buying a seemingly good fruit spread (No, I don’t know the difference between jam & fruit spreads. But, I feel like there is one. Please tell me if you know.).
“Sugar-free”, with fiber. So, you know these bars are healthy, right?! 😉
Seriously. Polaner is pretty good. I tasted it prior to using it in this recipe. Not too sweet. Clean, raspberry taste.