Great “one pot” dinner option.
And tasty too!
I made a couple minor changes:
• Used chicken legs instead of a whole fryer.
• Left out the mushrooms. Instead, pan-frying them on the side. Husband doesn’t eat mushrooms.
• Seasoned the chicken with salt & pepper, before searing in extra virgin olive oil.
Here’s the Recipe: (adapted from allrecipes.com by Chef John)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 (5 count) package of chicken legs
1 large onion, sliced
8 ounces fresh white button mushrooms, quartered
1 pinch salt
1 pinch ground black pepper
3 cloves garlic, sliced (The original recipe calls for 4 cloves. I only had 3.)
3 sprigs rosemary
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or to taste
1 cup tomato sauce
1/2 cup water
salt and ground black pepper to taste
1 red bell pepper, sliced
1 green bell pepper, sliced
• Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
• Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat & add chicken
• Cook until browned on the outside, then remove to a bowl to capture the juices
• Stir in onions (& mushrooms) & cook for 5-6 minutes until soft
• Add a big pinch of salt and pepper, then stir in garlic, rosemary, red pepper flakes, oregano, tomato sauce, and water
• Place chicken & any juices that have accumulated in the bowl on top of the cooked veggies
• Add more salt and pepper, then place pepper slices on top of the chicken
• Cover & cook in the preheated oven for 1 hour 15 minutes.
• Serve over cooked cappellini pasta