True Blood, TV
This show is popular. For that reason, I had second-thoughts about posting it. But, why not?! I like it.
I’ve been into vampire fiction & television for a long time.
Whedon’s “Buffy” is one of my favorite shows. Right behind Felicity, of course.
Ehhh…when I think about it, it could tie.
Anyway, let’s discuss True Blood for a moment.
Do you watch?!
I need to get this out my head.
I really like True Blood. I’ve been watching since the first season & seen all episodes up to the latest aired this past Sunday, June 24, 2012.
Before Season 5 began, I re-watched the pilot episode.
I got sucked back into watching the first season all over again!
So…here’s my deal:
I understand that television shows & their characters are supposed to evolve with each season. I get that.
But, dang it!!!…
I miss the original draw.
I can’t quite describe it, but there was this charm. This irresistible pull, that the show had in the first season, that I just don’t feel anymore. It used to take me so far away from merely sitting in my living room. After watching an episode, the story & characters stayed in my head for days.
It sounds odd, but watching the first season, I felt the Bon Temps humidity on my skin. The tiny town, & it’s crazy, one-of-a-kind locals. The place where everybody knows your name. And your business! The place where vampires were new.
I felt like I was there!
- Wandering through the green, grassy, warm, cicada-filled woods
- Sitting at a booth, in Merlotte’s
- Drinking coffee in Gran’s kitchen, while she makes breakfast
- I miss Gran!
- I miss Rene & his accent! For some reason, his whole being reminds me of Bodhisattva. O_o
- I miss Miss Antoinette…& the voodoo/demon exorcism storyline.
- I miss Tara’s mom! Oh, what a character!!!
- I miss “old school” Lafayette!!!! His character has changed the most! When we first met him in Season 1, he had this slow, “sanging” in his voice when he talked. Gyrating, sassy attitude. Eye-liner. And yet, in the very next scene…he’s gone “straight gangsta” on somebody, holding them in a head-lock. LOL I love the scene where he went off on the town redneck’s for saying that the food he cooked had Aids. I miss how he used to call people “hookas”!
…Lafayette hasn’t been right since Je’sus!!!
Again, I get that characters aren’t suppose to stay the same. This is evident & logical, as the ones that are, are mostly vampires. Gotta love Pam!!!! She’s been bringing & holding up the humor so far this season.
I’m not sure how I feel about Tara being a vampire…
Obviously & ultimately, that is what the show is about.
…& Sookie, of course.
The direction to the actual vampire storyline of mainstreaming was quite gradual. I mean, after having gone through witches, fairies, & werewolves. Wasn’t there a god too?…
Mr. Compton, & Eric, and Sookie are always good to watch.
The town of Bon Temps & it’s locals bring the charm! They certainly did in Season 1.
- I love the nosy, always meddling, Maxine Fortenberry. Poor Hoyt! Will he ever get space to breathe & be a man!?!
- Lettie Mae! I can’t remember the last we saw of her. The latest episode I re-watched of Season 1, showed her coming from church, with a friend. After very recently having her demon removed. Hilarious!
- Terry. Terry. Terry. I just want to give him a hug! Maybe this season, we’ll finally get to see his story.
I don’t know…
The show remains to be entertaining.
I’m still excited for each new episode.
It’s just that…not long after watching, I forget all about it.
What do you think?!