I think mushrooms are a “love/hate” type of food, kind of similar to bananas. I know people who don’t care for either. While I completely understand, I think it’s funny…the look on their faces when they find out a dish has one, or the other in it. I wear the same look on my face, when there are peas involved.
I love mushrooms, especially white button mushrooms! YUM!!! They are so earthy &…funky, but totally in a pleasant kind of way.
This “meat-less” melt, was surprisingly tasty!
Here is my Recipe:
Spinach Mushroom Melt
Two slices of wheat bread
3 white button mushrooms, sliced thin
2 onion rings, sliced thin
handful of baby spinach
mozzarella & cheddar-jack cheese -or- all mozzarella
1/2 tablespoon butter, halved
• Melt half of the butter in a pan.
• Dip 1 side of each bread slice into the butter to coat, then remove onto a plate (buttered side down).
• Add some cheese to one of the bread slices.
• Over medium heat, add remaining butter to melt.
• Add onions & mushrooms, and season with a little salt & pepper.
• Saute for 3-4 minutes, or until onions & mushrooms are browned & onions are translucent.
• Add the onions & mushrooms on top of the cheese covered bread slice; then add cheese, spinach leaves, then a bit more cheese.
• Cover with other bread slice (buttered side up).
• Smash sandwich down & carefully place in the pan.
• Cook 1-2 minutes, or until cheese starts to melt.
• Cook an additional 1-2 minutes. Sandwich is done when spinach begins to wilt & the cheese is melted & gooey.
This can easily be made using a panini-maker, or George Foreman grill.
I’d also recommend deli cheese slices, instead of the pre-shredded stuff that I used. Either way, it’s good!
Pssst!!! Don’t forget to enter to win the $50 Visa Giftcard Giveaway! Details here!!!