Both questions are incredibly difficult for me to answer right now.
I posed the first question on Facebook, about putting MerelyMarie on my resume. I appreciate your responses, as I’m struggling to find clarity about where to go from here with this blog & my professional life.
I’d love to combine the two! It seems like the right next step to take & it’d definitely make my life a lot easier.
I was laid-off some time ago. In some ways, I feel that it was meant to happen.
If you’ve been following awhile, you’ve probably heard me mention having feelings of being destined for something great, but having no clue what that something is, or what it looks like. I think this blog (though sprinkled with my personal life), is a great body of work that could propel my professional career in a more inspiring, & non-traditional direction. My husband supports this & agrees 100%. I’m very excited about the idea, but also a bit wary.
It’s funny…I remember sitting at my desk job, thinking about what I’d do if I weren’t there. Even though I was doing what I love (design), there were definitely moments where I’d daydream about being some place else, doing something else for work. Two things would always come to mind:
- Blogging & Making coffee drinks
Being laid-off teaches you something about jobs. A job is a job, is a job; and none really is secure…even self-employment. It’s all just a means to support yourself & your family. So, why not do what makes you smile?!…
I’ve done tons of research since I first started blogging years ago, and I’m about 90% there on the idea of being a professional, Lifestyle Blogger. By “professional”, I mean: putting my full name on this thing, combining my “online self” with my “offline self”, and never looking back. The other 10% is concerned about internet stalkers/identity thieves/and how MM would be received by potential employers (…part of me doesn’t want to work for a company, that wouldn’t receive my blog well, but that’s another story).
I just feel like I’m standing at a crossroads. I could choose the “safer” route, or I could take a risk & prepare to work my butt off.
The issue is that the decision to go for it, would be virtually impossible to reverse.
What would you do?…
Would you ever put your blog on your resume?
Do you blog under your real name?
Please share your thoughts & experiences with me. I’d really appreciate hearing from you 🙂